Vibrams Five Fingers-Great Training Aid or Shoes of a Whackjob?

Sunday, March 17, 20130 comments


By now I bet most of you have seen those crazy looking Vibrams Five Fingersshoes. The first time I saw them, like most people, I thought they were some crazy looking shoe for the local whackadoos to wear. I never in a million years thought that I would ever wear shoes that look like feet, let alone pay $100 bucks for them!
Vibrams Five Fingers Great Training Aid or Shoes of a Whackjob?
[These are the exact same Vibrams five fingers that I have. They are called Bikila. Admit it, they are starting to grow on you!]
There was a guy that wore them to one of my home inspections and I really thought he was a little weird!
Well, who’s the weirdo now?
I am.
I’m the one with the weird shoes and quickly turning in to Vibrams biggest fan! I still admit that they are kind of weird looking and have a weird name for that matter. Why Vibrams five fingers instead of Vibram’s Five Toes? Who knows.
Ok. Let me explain why I am loving these shoes. As I talked about in my last few posts, I started running in a different way. I started ChiRunning and since have had absolutely no more knee pain.
One of the key points with ChiRunning is to not heel strike when you run. You strike with your midfoot versus striking with your heel. This puts much less stress on your knees, hips, etc. It has worked wonders for me and I admittedly still do not do it correctly all the time. In fact, I bet that I do it wrong more often than right! This makes me excited, because I know that the more that I practice ChiRunning, the better I will get and the less chance of pain and injury.

Vibrams Five Fingers as a Training Aid

So where do the Vibrams Five Fingers fit in to this? Well, the one thing with these shoes is that they have very little padding or sole to them. They are pretty close to running barefoot but do offer some protection. If you ever run barefoot, you will soon realize that you run different than you do with running shoes on. If you heel strike with shoes on, you will definitely not do it with bare feet. If you do, it will hurt and your body knows better than to run that way. So you will naturally run with more of a midfoot strike versus a heel strike.
Running with Vibrams on will also cause you to do less heel striking, which you can then take with you when you are wearing your regular shoes. I ran in my Vibrams only twice so far, 4 miles and then 6 miles. (I walked around in them a lot though before running in them.) It is definitely smart to get your feet and ankles used to them before taking off for a ten mile run the first time you wear them! In fact, I think that if you do that, you are going to get hurt and never want to wear them again!
I ran with my Nike Vomero running shoes each time after my runs with the Vibrams. The one thing that I noticed both times was that my runs were faster, although they didn’t seem like I was running faster in my mind. I did a couple miles at around an 8 minute pace and I really thought that I was around a 9 minute pace. That was a nice surprise, although this is only with two runs of data so far.
Obviously, I may feel different after a few months, but so far so good. I did notice the lack of support around the ankles with the Vibrams Five Fingers, which I think will get better as my body adjusts and gets stronger.
Vibrams Five Fingers Great Training Aid or Shoes of a Whackjob?

[I really think that my Vibrams running shoes are cool. Not as cool as this guy though. My man is bringing sexy back!  Wife beater tank top, wristbands, head band, and Sally Jessie Raphael Glasses all at the same time?  Guys like me don't even have a chance!]  icon wink Vibrams Five Fingers Great Training Aid or Shoes of a Whackjob?
So, if you think they look a little whacky, I agree. That being said, I am kind of digging the way they look now. The bottom line is that they are really comfortable, can get wet, are easy to wash, and so far have helped me to run better. I am willing to look a little weird if they can be used as a training aid for my running.
If you decide to get a pair, make sure that you get properly fitted for them. The sizes are completely different than what you wear with regular shoes. I wear size 12 in most running shoes, but with Vibrams Five Fingers, I wear size 45! See, everything about these shoes are weird, even the sizes. The best thing to do is to go to a local retailer like REI and get custom fitted so you know that they are the correct size.
So there you have it. Weird shoes, that are also pretty cool shoes. They have been called five toe shoes, shoes that look like feet, toe shoes, and of course, just plain weird. Call them what you want, but in my opinion, they have their uses when it comes to training and specifically running. If you dare to be different, give Vibrams Five Fingers a try and let me know what you think.
Share this article :