Intermittent Fasting Case Study- So Far So Good

Sunday, March 17, 20130 comments


Hey intermittent fasting Peeps! I wanted to touch base with everyone and thank you guys for all of the comments and emails. I see that I have hit upon something here that is going to help a lot of people. I was amazed on Monday when I saw all of the emails from people asking questions and commenting on my intermittent fasting case study.
intermittent fasting

[Is this the year you take control of your weight? Intermittent fasting will make it easier than you've ever imagined!]
First off, here is a quick update with me.
I have officially completed two intermittent fasts this week and so far. . . so good.
I fasted on Monday and Friday for around 22 to 23 hours each time. Just like before, it was pretty easy to stick with once I set my mind to it. I ate and drank nothing with calories during each fast. Just some water and I had one Diet Coke each day.
I started this recent case study on Sunday night at 181.2 lbs. Below, I listed my body weight each morning and as you can see, I am on the right path. A couple pounds a week is a good rate.

Intermittent Fasting Week 1 Weigh In:

Monday- 179.5 lbs
Tuesday- 178.0 lbs
Wednesday- 178.9 lbs
Thursday- 178.3 lbs
Friday- 178.6 lbs
Saturday- 177.0 lbs
Okay, now I wanted to get in to a few things that I think will help you guys. I’ve talked about this in the past, but it is really important, so I am going to go over it again. In order to consistently lose weight, you have to create a caloric deficit. That is the key to losing weight. Period.
Please remember this when you are fasting and when you are eating in between your fasts. I see a few mistakes that people make when fasting that will defeat the purpose of the fast and decrease your success with intermittent fasting.
Intermittent Fasting Mistake 1)
Eating too many calories in between fasts.
If you fast and reduce your calories, only to overeat afterwards, you just balanced out your calories and you will not lose weight.
Intermittent Fasting Mistake 2)
Worrying too much about what you should eat in between fasts.
Please don’t turn this in to a diet! If you fast, as well as diet in between your fasts, you will not stick with either. Don’t make this harder than it is. Use intermittent fasting to reduce your calories and lose weight. Eat whatever you want in between your fasts. (Within reason. Refer to the first mistake!) Don’t try to do too much at one time. This leads in to the last mistake below.
Intermittent Fasting Mistake 3)
Trying to fix everything at the same time.
If you are overweight, never exercise, and eat like a nightmare, don’t try and tackle everything at once. Use intermittent fasting to reduce your calories and eat the same way as you always have at first. If you do only this, you will still reduce your caloric intake, and lose weight. Once you get used to fasting and start to lose, then slowly start to eat a little better, and start to exercise more.
[Besides the Half Marathon in Pittsburgh in May, me and my oldest son Cory are doing the Warrior Dash in Ohio June 2nd!!! This is going to be so much fun. I can't wait!]
The best case scenario is for all of us to eat clean, fast as needed, and exercise regularly. The problem is most people try to clean up years of abuse by changing everything all at the same time. What usually happens is they crash and burn after the novelty wears off and they are worse off then before. (Think: yo yo diets and gym memberships.)
You will be better off if you slowly ease in to this lifestyle and give yourself a chance to adjust and a chance to screw it up sometimes. If you are too strict and too disciplined all at once, you will fail. Not trying to be negative, just telling you the truth. Why not be more relaxed and still have fun while you slowly lose the weight.
What is the sense in fasting two times a week if you can’t let loose and live a little in between?
We all have different goals and different believes. Personally, I don’t care if I have a six pack, big arms, or am the next “Situation”. I just want to stay decently lean, be able to run the half marathon in May without too much pain, and be in generally good health. I still plan on drinking some margaritas along the way and if I want pizza or excessive carbs now and then, I will eat them. You may have totally different goals, which is fine. The great thing about intermittent fasting is that it will fit in to whatever your fitness and weight loss goals may be.
I will keep you guys updated again soon. For now, I plan on fasting Monday and Friday again next week. Good luck with your upcoming fasts and let me know how it is going and how I can help. Keep commenting and sending me emails and spreading the word about intermittent fasting!
Share this article :